|1936 Rolls-Royce 25/30hp|
Engine no. U24J
(Later replaced with C29A)
|Owner: Penny Meakin|
One of the 1203 cars of this model built between 1936 and late 1938 (Including 2 converted from 20/25hp)
owner: Commander C.H. Davey RN
of Great Britain,
who had the body made to the same design as
his 20/25hp, GWE33, which was a four-door
saloon by the coachbuilder Vanden Plas.
Plas saloon body
on chassis GWE33
|(Picture courtesy of "Those Elegant Rolls-Royce" - p229)|
some stage the car found its way to
Northern Rhodesia, where it was acquired
in 1969 by Capt. Chris. Tilney from
someone in Ndola, possibly Maj. N.J. Buss.
By this time the car was body-less and
was fitted with engine C29A ex. chassis
GTL68 which had been owned by Maj. Buss of
Ndola in 1965. It was most likely that he
selected the better running engine to
keep GTL68 going. This car is
now back in the UK.
|As the car
was found in
Northern Rhodesia, in 1969
December 1970 the car was acquired by
Capt. V.S. Meakin of Lusaka, Zambia.
Originally a woodwork and metal-craft teacher
before pursuing a career as an airline pilot,
Vic Meakin was able to apply his considerable
skills to the restoration of GXM68.
He started on this project soon after he
had built himself a little workshop and
carport in the back garden of his house
in Lusaka. The overhaul of the engine was
tackled first, and the list of parts he
required was very long indeed.
There cannot have been very much
left of the engine when he started with it.
The car had been essentially stripped.
|Vic Meakin lowering in the engine||Crankshaft
1975 Vic. Meakin had designed
and built a replica Gurney Nutting
style drop head coupe body,
by adapting plans of a similar
body for a Phantom 1.
To make the rear wings of the car,
he first had to construct a
over which he shaped the aluminum.
The car passed the roadworthy test in
June 1975 in Lusaka.
car was brought to South Africa in 1976,
where it was in use for a number of years
up until late 1990 when problems
arose with the cylinder head which
had developed hairline cracks.
After Vic Meakin passed away
in late1990 the car stood
for ten years.
the car under
the wing of a Dakota taken
at Johannesburg International
Airport, date unknown but
probably around early 1980’s
Pietermaritzburg in 2000 work started on
the car again and an attempt was made
to repair the old cylinder head.
She once again ventured out of the garage
but not before several days were spent
releasing the clutch! This apparently
should have been ‘jacked out’ during
storage. However the old head did
not last for long before water was
detected in the oil and once again
she was off the road. In 2002 a
new cylinder head was ordered
from Fiennes Engineering in the UK.
In March 2005 the car was re-sprayed
in Pietermaritzburg – Volvo ‘Polar White’
and Rolls Royce ‘Pacific Blue’.
sincere thanks to Penny Meakin
for all her enthusiasm and assistance in researching
and compiling the history of GXM68,
and for agreeing to have her magnificent car
featured on this website.
Penny also thanks Wayne Kennerley for
his assistance and research on
the history of the car)
|In memory of Penny's
Capt. Vic S. Meakin.